Friday, February 22, 2013

WHY?

Why is this happening to me?
I can live without the answer to “when” or even “where,” but I need to know “why.”  I remember asking my parents “why this” and “why that” and the answer “BECAUSE I SAID SO” was just not acceptable to me, but often times, that was all I was given.  Pouting, mumbling under my breath, and stomping away did not change their response.

These days I find myself, not pouting, mumbling under my breath, or stomping away, but still being very much unsatisfied with not knowing “why.”  Sometimes the “why” is for myself, like “why am I not more successful at my age?”  And other times it’s for others, like “why would God allow this to happen to them?”  More times than not, I hear nothing.  I hear no great revelation and get no glimpse of the mind and reasoning of God.  But what I do hear is my asking.
No Answer, but I'm still Asking
My asking means that I believe someone is listening.   My asking means someone is there.  My asking means someone has answered before.   I have realized that the knowledge of the omnipresence of that someone, is exactly “why.”  God promises never to leave nor forsake us and it is only in calamity that we question this.  Therefore only through calamity can we prove our dependence and belief in Him and in His promises.

Things happen to good and bad people for multiple reasons, but we must remember that God is always in control.  The proof of our remembering is in our asking.  Not just simply asking “why,” but asking for strength and courage; asking for faith and reassurance. It is in our asking that we are able to prove our unwavering faith and limit the sifting of the enemy.

Don’t stop asking “why.”  But if you don’t get a response, don’t get discouraged.  Know that God is there and that he cares.  Know that He will empower you to endure any and all things and you will come out as pure gold.  And then maybe in hindsight you will ask “why not?”

- B. Landi

Supplementary Scriptures:
The Story of Job
Matthew 7: 7-11

No comments:

Post a Comment